Thursday, July 25, 2013

Katy Trail -- Rocheport, MO



Starting on our bucket list to ride our bikes in all 50 states before we die. So we headed across the state line into Missouri for a 3 day long weekend to also celebrate a combined birthday and anniversary. Headed out at 3:30 after her workday ended with the plan to ride some of the Katy Trail around Rocheport, Missouri and then stay in Columbia for the night on the way to St. Louis for the rest of the weekend and lots more bike riding.

Most of the drive there was in the rain -- bummer, and it looked like those plans would have to be scuttled.  But we drove out of the rain about 20 minutes prior to reaching Rocheport so we were able to get our ride in after all.

Beautiful, beautiful trail.  I chose Rocheport as I wanted to ride on the bridge that went over I-70 that we had driven under many times, as well as because Rocheport has a really cool tunnel that you ride through.  As it turns out the Katy bridge that goes over I-70 is, we believe, closer to Boonville, not Rocheport.  However, at Rocheport, the trail goes under the I-70 bridge over the Missouri River, so it was all good.

Rocheport, according to the sign as you enter town has a population of 239, and they very much embrace the trail through their town.  I would say it is the economy of the town. Parking is ample and free and safe beside a charming replication depot right at trailside.  Free and safe parking is always important to me.

The weather for a late July evening was cooler than normal in the low 80s and with the heavy tree canopy and especially inside the tunnel, it felt easily 10 degrees cooler than that.   Most pleasant conditions for a ride.  The trail was also definitely being utilized, as we met probably a dozen or so people both walking and riding bikes.

 We were sort of off our game tonight:
* I forgot to hook up my brake after putting my front wheel on. Luckily I was riding on a flat surface with no steep dropoffs on either side when I discovered this.
* When I then went to hook it up, pinched my darned finger in it.
* We forgot to start our MapMyRide application to tell us how far we rode.

But all those minor annoyances aside, we very much enjoyed the short distance we spent on this trail. This is most definitely a must ride for anyone interested in bicycling.

~~H

Yes I highly recommend Rocheport as a biking destination.  There is a cool tunnel and also you get to ride right along the Missouri River.  Stone Walls on one side and the river on the other.  I am told this section of the Katy trail is the most scenic and I would have to totally agree!  Tomorrow we will be hitting Grant's Trail if the weather holds! We Just Keep Pedaling!

S~~

This seems an odd place to drop my shoulder off.  And when will it be ready for me to pick up again?

Rocheport, MO exit off I-70
 

A couple of the bed and breakfasts in Rocheport



The trailhead

Cafe and bike rental shop in the trailhead parking lot


Safety first!  You only have one brain!

The cool tunnel



Just imaging the train chugging through here kind of gives me shivers. You can almost still hear its whistle.

Remnants of a dynamite storage cave in the bluff along the trail

Bluff towering over the trail
The trail follows along the Missouri River


Standing under the I-70 bridge

I just love that little I-70 sign on the trail :)

On the bridge over the creek just outside the tunnel

Many benches provided to enjoy the view of the river and the I-70 bridge.



And this is what happens when you have too much plutonium in your diet. :)

VIDEO: Katy Trail at Rocheport, MO
Through the tunnel, beside the river and under the bridge!