Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Just too much nature for me

You just seem like, you know, kind of an indoor girl. -- Jack Dawson, Titanic

That's me.  And I admit that unashamedly. 

We attempted to ride the trail east of Osage City tonight.  In just the first 1-1/4 miles, I dodged a bazillion and seven grasshoppers, got nailed right in the face by one of them, rode through a spider web with the spider still on it, and ran over a snake.  

And folks, I think that does it for me.  

We have now ridden several unpaved trails (other parts of the Flint Hills Trail, Landon Trail, Katy Trail in Missouri) and on none of those have I run into anywhere near this grasshopper problem.  Snakes, yes, unfortunately, on two other parts of the Flint Hills Trail, but no encounters with snakes on the Landon Trail OR the Katy trail.  And I wonder what the difference is?  Is it simply the weed-free surface?  Is it because those other trails see more regular use?

I came to the conclusion in my own mind tonight that until the trail around our town sees the benefit of this funding, I think I'm done attempting to ride my bike on it.  I ride my bike for exercise and for fun, and tonight's ride was not my definition of fun.

~~H

No comments:

Post a Comment