Saturday, September 14, 2013

New Wheels a Rolling when we Just Keep Pedaling!

Have not posted much this week as we have been busy and mainly just riding here in town for exercise.  Through trial and error we have found a minimum of 10 miles a day to be the distance needed for weight reduction to occur for me.  Last night while trying to get in a few miles before we had to go to the high school football game in Emporia,  I broke another spoke on the back wheel just riding on the street.  Not doing wheelies or jumping over scantily clad woman. (Hey there's an idea! ;) I think the riding that had been done with the solid tubes weakened all the spokes.  So I drove up to Topeka this morning and priced a new wheel at Capp's Bike Shop.   Surprisingly a new wheel cost about what it would have cost to replace 2 spokes with parts and labor.   So I went with a new wheel.  I was out of there in 10 minutes after they swapped my tire and gearing onto the new wheel.   When we rode tonight,  I noticed a significant reduction in drag.  The bike coasted much easier.   We ended up riding 12.4 miles tonight in the time it previously had taken us to ride just over 10.   I think the bearings in the old wheel as well as likely many loose spokes was causing additional drag.  My Sweetie commented that she was having to work tonight to keep up with me.  Lately it had been me working to keep her within sight! :)

S~

We just go all over the place, don't we?

~~H


Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRide

No comments:

Post a Comment