Saturday, July 13, 2019

McMullen Creek Greenway -- Charlotte, North Carolina

 

Drove from Beckley, West Virginia to Charlotte, North Carolina to get our North Carolina ride in. Supped at TGIFridays while waiting out a thunderstorm. Wasn't really feeling like riding, as it had been a long day of driving and an already hot and sticky bike ride. However, we both really wanted tomorrow to be just a driving day so we didn't have to wear riding clothes and sit in them all sweaty and stinky in the car. So, we made the commitment to get this ride done, and as you'll see in the video, Heidi's heart wasn't really in it and her tongue was sharp and her attitude wasn't very pleasant.
 
Perhaps because of that mindset, or because I was tired, or because it had just rained and it was a sand surface trail so the bike got dirty and I got dirtier, or because it was hot and humid as balls, or perhaps all of those reasons combined: this ride and its environment just really creeped me out. The video doesn't show the extent of how swampy and how close to the trail in multiple places the nasty red water actually was. 
 
I kept having visions of alligators and any other various wildlife with sharp teeth and claws intent on doing bodily harm. So, when that deer was just 5 feet away from me as I rode over that boardwalk surrounded by water, and I didn't even see it until it jumped away, my heart might have skipped a beat or two. Once it decided to start beating again, I was properly thankful that my wildlife encounter was with one of the most gentle creatures possible who just wanted to get away from me and not attack me. 
 
Summary: I really didn't enjoy this ride at all.
 





But at the end of the day, I got a Stroopwaffle McFlurry.  OMG. These need to be a regular menu item.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment