Sunday, May 25, 2014

Flint Hils Nature Trail - Council Grove to S 400 Road

Been super busy between work and trying to get my Mustang ready for a trip to a car show in June that I have not gotten much bike riding done this spring.   So my Sweetie and I made a deal that at least one day this weekend we would go for a bike ride.   So on Sunday since we were halfway to Council Grove doing one of our odd jobs,  we decided to go on to CG and eat lunch and then head out on the trail and see how far we could get before I pooped out!

Here is a little peek at my 1985 Mustang project before we get started.  Completely replacing 28 year old suspension parts.



Enough about cars!  This is a blog about bicycling which currently is a better mode of transportation than above car! :)    

It rained off and on Saturday so the trail was a bit soft in places but quickly dried.  So we had to dodge muddy spots as we rode along.   The surface as you ride out from Council Grove is smooth but has a tendency to get muddy in places because it appears to be clay based.  

Council Grove Trailhead off Dunlap Road



Not far out from Council Grove we spotted our first animal of the ride,  I spotted a turkey running down the trail away from us.   Not long after that she exclaimed what's that standing along the edge of the trail.   Visions of the World's Largest Prairie Dog in Oakley, Ks danced in my head as I told her that's what it was,  our talking startled it into scampering off into the grass.  The song I'm Alright by Kenny Loggins always makes an appearance in my rapid channel shifting brain whenever I see a Prairie Dog.   thanks to Caddyshack!  I know gophers and prairie dogs are not the same animal.  They both dig holes in the ground! The association in my brain doesn't care! :) 



Now back to our ride!  

Along the trail, I believe by S 525th Rd there is an old stone school house or church that they are working on repairing.   We stopped and took some pictures on our way back by. 

 <3   Photobombed by a Bunny!
We rode on out to S 400 Rd which was roughly 5 miles out.   We stopped to take some pictures because the view was quite breathtaking.   Not sure pictures do it justice.

Camera is facing South-Southwest

About midway through our ride the trail surface changed to a little heavier gravel surface which I much prefer.  Its easier to ride on especially if the surface is a little wet.  Us bigger folks don't sink in so much! :)   Plus it seems to hold up better with less maintenance.   All in all it was an enjoyable ride that ended up being a little over 10 miles by the time we got back.   We did see one small snake and another turkey.   That was all for animal sightings outside of your normal birds,  rabbits, and squirrels.   I am outta here, So Long and thanks for all the Fish!  oops I mean Just Keep Pedaling!    

S~~


We also encountered six other cyclists on our ride.... three separate groups of two. Good to see it being utilized.   ~~ H







Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRide

No comments:

Post a Comment