Tuesday, November 19, 2013

It's a Mirrycle! (And an extremely awesome mirror!)

One of our Craig's List purchased bikes had come equipped with a mirror and I had gotten quite used to utilizing it when I rode.  But alas, the other day, the little rubber plug that held it into the end of the handlebar finally tore completely through and that was the end of my mirror.  So, off to Amazon I went to find a replacement.  It didn't take me long to make my final decision with this little gem.

Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror



Anytime an item has 850 reviews and a 4.75/5 star rating, I figure that's a sure sign that you likely can't go wrong.  And the price made my happy -- just $13.  So click, click with Prime shipping and two days later I had my mirror.

Now, since I was feeling all chest-puffy with self-sufficient do-it-yourself ability since my successful dual-tire changing lesson, I tackled the installation of this little puppy all my lonesome and am happy and proud to say that it was a success -- and not difficult, either.  Although as a large number of those 850 Amazon reviewers noted:  Be sure you DO read the instructions before you begin and you shouldn't have any problems.

However, I did not install mine the way it is pictured above on the box.  Why?  Because the way we stuff our folded bikes into the back of our Honda Fit is by turning them upside down so they are resting on the handlebars. And a mirror installed as pictured above just looks like it is begging to be be broken off about the second time we put the bikes in the car.  Instead, as part of those 850 reviews, there were also 20+ pictures supplied by others who had purchased this same mirror and various configurations and placements they had utilized. I copied one of them, as pictured here, and it works just fine, the only exception being if I am riding with my hands placed on the actual handlebars, then my left arm is obstructing my view of the mirror.  But I really only have my hands on the handlebars when I know I will needing to utilize the brakes.  All other times, I am riding in the more upright position with my hands on the "bullhorn" bar extenders.


A perfect configuration for my Mirrycle mirror!
Unlike my other mirror that I was forever having to adjust because it would sag and vibrate out of place, this one stays exactly where you put it.  And you can make it as adjustable or as fixed as you prefer, based on how tightly you tighten the Allen screws at the joints when you assemble it out of the box.

This was a very good purchase and if you are looking for a mirror, and honestly I don't know why you would want to ride without one (honeyyyyyyyy............), I think you can't go wrong with this one.

~~ H




No comments:

Post a Comment